Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Harvest Finds

The boys and I had two exciting finds in terms of food in the last two weeks. Man, I love harvest time!

The first were golden raspberries at the local-ish pick-it-yourself farm.

[photo removed]

So delicious - I think they might be less seedy than the red variety. What do you think?

And second, Hokkaido K├╝rbis, or red kuri squash.  Okay, fellow Americans, these squash are so flavorful and fabulous. Every produce street vendor in Munich was selling them while we lived there, and for good reason! I've been trying to find both the squash and the American name/translation for three seasons now. And when it finally popped up this year on Wikipedia, I knew we were getting close. Sure enough, Whole Foods. And for my Denver friend with the CSA share - save yourself a WF trip, based on the label - I think you'll be getting them soon!

[photo removed]

And now, I'm off to roast some red kuri squash.

(I think I like the "German" name better. Hokkaido.)

2 comments:

Katie (Mama May I) said...

You found your squash! Now you have to share your soup recipe. ;)

Meredith said...

I've never heard of golden raspberries! They look yummy. I've also never heard of the squash, but it's a beautiful color.