Monday, August 7, 2017

Re:

It's raining here in Colorado. It rains so seldom, that it's refreshing and invigorating when it does rain (for me). In fact, I'm pretty sure that I'm twice as likely to post on a rainy day as compared on a sunny day.



The kids are running in and out of the house, setting up rain traps. And I am not one bit worried about tracking their time in the sun, or slathering them with sunscreen, or pushing hats. It's a relief. The floor is pretty wet. OH WELL.

This last week, I had quite a few orders for Schultüten. It was SO NICE. I feel really lucky to have some awesome customers who have pushed me in some new directions. If I could consistently be that level of busy with my Etsy store, it would be perfect. As it is, the Schultüten are such a niche market; it will only last for a bit (this month, maybe?), and then I'll be back to looking for work as an architect. This is fine, as long as I find a job in architecture. I really like architecture more than sewing, but the sewing could be fine, if it was consistent. But it's not.

Anyway. I DO enjoy the chance to create something. I'm getting a little more brave as the time goes by. Some of my favorites:




I'm always looking for ways to use my fabric scraps. So, my new strategy is to sew pictures onto the front of the cone. The raw edges fray, but I think it still creates a neat aesthetic. The rainbow is sort of quilted-looking:


And these flowers are more of a sketched-outline:


These stars were kind of cool, too.


I like the tension these designs create between finished and unfinished. Somehow, lately, I feel the need to say that beauty and function can exist even in a rough form. Honestly, I think there's something psychological here: like, I'm exhausted of always trying to be perfect and finished.

No comments: