Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Paint it Black

This week I'm putting the final round of paint on the steps. It involves painting one coat of paint a day, starting at the top most step, painting down to the bottom step, and then climbing out of the basement window when I'm done. It would probably be more amusing to put a photo of me climbing out of the basement window here. Oh, well. Here are the stairs, now in black steps:


This is decidedly NOT one of my higher quality paint jobs. The wood is really cheap; there was some pretty poor workmanship on the trim (meaning I filled a lot of gaps with caulk). But I think I'm okay with them. The stairs are bold and yet neutral and finished looking, with minimal cost. Also: they're BASEMENT STEPS, right? Just keeping it in perspective.

There's this awkward misalignment between the stairwell wall and the basement wall. Can you see it, at the stair landing? Our basement contractor couldn't bring himself to build a crooked wall to match the bulging stairwell wall, so we ended up with this special "nook" or "accent." I'm not a fan or nooks or accents. So maybe I should have made the contractor fix it. Instead, I thought, huh, maybe we can do something interesting with that... Except, it's been 2 years, and the only idea I have is to hang a mirror there and frame it. Or paint it a different color and hang artwork on it? Hmmm.


1 comment:

Pregnantly Plump said...

I like the black! It's nice!