Thursday, September 22, 2016

Cold Weather Cape

I made this denim and furry fleece cape as a gift for my goddaughter.


Usually, I'm not inclined to make gifts for people. This sounds rather horrible: but I feel like handmade gifts are not really liked by most people. Considering the amount of time and effort that goes into them, I want them to be liked! A project such as this cape takes me about 4-5 hours plus the cost of fabric. A good amount of the time goes into fiddling with perfectly lining up the edges of the denim and fussing with the furry fleece. (Man, does it shed!) If I paid myself a living wage, which is around $22/hour in Denver, then this cape is worth $88-$110 plus materials. It's selling for less than that on my Etsy website. Which is one part belief that it wouldn't sell at such a high price and one part acknowledgement that other parts of the country have a far lower living wage. On any average day, it makes a lot more sense to throw a smaller amount of time and money at store-bought gift and attach a gift receipt.


This time I was determined to hand-make a gift. Mostly, it seemed that if there was an occasion appropriate to make a gift, this was it. I felt that it was highly unlikely that she already had one. And I do believe these capes are extremely handy for those early years when you are taking a baby/little kid in and out of carseat, in and out of the cold. The first version I made for Trixie about 3 years ago and she is still wearing it.


One of the greatest things about this cape is that it is entirely machine washable and dry-able. It's also reversible. Actually, I think I might like one myself.


Maybe I can justify it by making it red instead of denim. I can wear it at Christmas time. It will be my Santa cape!

1 comment:

Pregnantly Plump said...

It's very beautiful! I'm sure your goddaughter will get a lot of use out of it! People don't often like handmade. It's unfortunate.