Sunday, July 17, 2016

Read, Write, Right

I use two different readers to read blogs. One is on my smart phone and one is on my computer.

The RSS reader (The Old Reader) on my computer is great, but not widely used. I thought I should try something else on my phone. I had already been unhappy with Feedly, so I tried Bloglovin' on my phone. 

Now I can tell you I dislike both Feedly and Bloglovin'. Both of these readers are more about marketing and reinforcing content that is already popular than exposure to new ideas. If you want diversity, you are not going to discover it by utilizing either of these readers.  I would say: Same old, same old.  But really it's more like: Same trend, same trend. Feedly and Bloglovin' remind me of living in Portland, Oregon, where everything was hip, but everything was hip in the same way

***

These days, all my RSS readers are very empty on the weekend. When something is posted on a weekend, I feel a bit of shock: What!? Someone is working on the weekend? 

Based on this, I've concluded the list of blogs I'm reading has become far too commercial. 

I decide it's time to weed. 

***

I can't be interested in Facebook at all the last few months. 

***

Noah hates to write. There's nothing wrong with his thinking or his imagination. I'm frequently impressed with how verbally coherent he can be. But when it comes to paper and pencil, he runs the opposite direction. I'd like to see him improve his writing and write more. 

Recently we had a conversation in which he asked me why everyone thinks writing is so important. I talked to him about how it allows us to communicate and share ideas at anytime and in any place without actually being present.  I talked about how it allows us to present our ideas very precisely.

But in the back of my head I was thinking about how we watch TED talks instead of reading papers and books. I was thinking about snapchat versus blogs. I was thinking about how Facebook purportedly has an algorithm ranking video higher than photos and higher than text. And I thought about how clicking on an article in an online newspaper can lead you to a video instead of an article. I thought about how Fritz always speaks his texts and emails instead instead of typing them. 

(Heck, Noah, maybe you're right. Writing may not be so important in our – your – future. But I'm not sure that's such a great thing, so, go get your pencil and write.)

No comments: