Monday, May 23, 2016

Morning Birds

Sunday was a typical weekend morning. Trixie woke up at 5:37am, which is the normal time for her. Mattias joined us within 10 minutes. All of our children wake up early. Although, in the last two years, Noah started sleeping as late as 7am. We refer to his current sleeping patterns as sleeping in.


I'm a morning person, so I've tried to be kind and generous about the fact that the children are also morning people. Or it seems they are morning people. But I do resent not having the mornings to myself to go running. I loved waking up in the morning to run. Sigh. That was a decade ago. These days, I run kid interference so that my night owl husband can sleep in. Sleeping in for him means the same sort as Noah: maybe 7am (but not usually as late as 8 am).


The kiddos are hungry right away. No, they're hangry. So I take them downstairs for first breakfast. They will eat second breakfast later. Like hobbits. Or because they've got a healthy dose of Bavarian blood surging through their veins. I hear Bavarians construction workers call it Vesper, which sounds like a prayer to my English ears. After first breakfast and before second breakfast, they'll do some of their best playing of the day. That is when I finally get a few moments of time to myself, but I've already lost my enthusiasm to run.


Over the last decade, we've lived in several areas that are quite densely populated with children. Especially during the winter months, I've noticed there are NOT other lights on at 5:37 am in the morning. So I guess my children are just outliers in the waking up early category.

But I hear that second breakfast is more common.



3 comments:

Jennifer said...

M still wakes up super early - around 5:30. Thankfully, he has learned that no one else wants to get up that early on the weekends, so he keeps to himself until we are ready to get up around 6:30. However, the other morning he was awake at 4:30 (!) and playing the bongos. Nice.

life's a bear said...

Oh my, that is rough! With the sun up so early, my kiddos are waking at 6:30 and I grumble. Luckily, they can self-entertain now - and usually do. Also, my husband generally gets up early and runs interference - until 7 or 7:30. I will say, if I don't get my early morning run in, I've started to run while my kids ride their bikes after school. I know that you have one additional kiddo to wrangle, but it's been a good strategy! It will all come back eventually, right?

Meredith said...

Ours are also early risers. I think it may be an age thing. The older two will entertain themselves, but if Cheese Puff is up first by himself, he will get in bed on my side, and chatter until one of us gets up with him. It's hard to fuss at a child who says, "Mommy? I love you." Even if it is still dark outside and I really want to sleep.