Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Unwind

We spent last week recovering from jet lag, doing laundry and trying to get back into the swing of things. Of course, being summer and school being out, means that there is no regular swing of things. There are camps and swim lessons and a visit from my parents, carefully sprinkled throughout the summer to keep everyone a (hopefully) comfortable mix of (self-)entertaining and entertained.


In the summer, I feel particularly unable to keep up with the kids' mess destruction. I don't know what's worse: the wake of 'play' or all the eating/snacking. Sometimes I am better at letting it go than other times. I remember that the whole reason I am here at home with them anyway is NOT to be a maid, or look good in yoga pants, or have a perfectly designed home, or fill my blog with a curated version of life. Rather, I want to enable the kids to have the kind of summer in which they build stuff, have a lemonade stand, and eat home-created popsicles. Having that kind of summer often means I have to suspend my own desires / wants / expectations. And then, sometimes, I just can't take it anymore and I stick them in front of a screen so that I can at least mow the grass and mop the floors. (And then my mind feels a bit clearer for the 60 seconds before chaos breaks loose again.)

The sign should say 'freshly squeezed AND store bought lemonade. Because, you know, whatever.

Generally, it is worth noting: I am so, so happy to no longer have any big, looming THINGS: No exchange student. No loaner car because mine is in the body shop. No new car to buy. No loft-to-bedroom conversion. No basement finishing. No living with 5 people in the same bedroom. No pending month-long travel with 3 kids to another continent. No living in other people's spaces. Ahhhh!!! It sounds crazy to complain; but all those things have happened in last 11 months. And while it has been an exciting time, it has also been stressful. Maybe it makes the daily grind of a garden that needs weeding and dishes that should be washed a little less urgent.

No comments: