Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Generational Shift

Last week my paternal grandmother passed away. She was the grandparent to whom I always felt most close. Between Fritz and I, she was the last of our grandparents.

My Minnesotan aunt called it a Generational Shift. I do feel there is something significant about being at this point. I am no longer anyone's granddaughter. My parents seem a little less like The Parents and a little more like The Grandparents. I've been a mother for eight years, but now the idea of myself as mother feels heavier and more serious than before. I'm the one who now moves into the position of looking after her own children; but also keeping an eye on my own parents.

4 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I understand the shift in feelings. I think it makes sense.

Anonymous said...

You have my deepest sympathy, Ann!

While reading your post, this article

http://time.com/3750528/biological-clock-grandparents-late-in-life-kids/

came into my mind - not sure why.
It is quite touching and even though it made me almost cry, it was also comforting to see that my children experience at least part of their grandparents as active people. Just like your kids do!
And somehow your memories of your dear grandmother will be part of your family's story as well, isn' that comforting?

Hugs from far away

Ann Wyse said...

Thank you all for the well wishes!

I found the article in Time quite interesting. Thanks for the link!

Idena said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother. Thinking of you.