Sunday, April 5, 2015

Blogging Break

Hi there.

Sorry for the absence. I've been on a blogging break.

You know what? Living in a house that was two-thirds under construction DID turn out to be pretty stressful.

I've learned that to a large extent, physical space is also mental space (for me). I didn't really know this about myself. In fact, I've always read the articles and looked at the photos of people living in small spaces with a bit of awe. But living with 5 people in 1200 sf has taught me that I will probably never be building our own tiny home. Or moving to...oh, say, NYC.

The additional lesson is this: I'm a quiet person, who likes to spend a lot of time in lost in my thoughts. I manage the daily lives of three small mostly irrational beings all day long. I can't be mentally distant in my work, so it's at least nice to have the occasional physical distance. But with the construction in the house, and winter outside the doors, I just felt so cramped that something had to change. I decided to take a blogging break because it was/is just about the only "place" in my life where I felt like had any space left to give.

It sounds rather nonsensical now that I read it, but it made perfect sense at the time. And although not-blogging didn't entirely de-stress the situation, it did help.

2 comments:

Idena said...

I've been thinking about your renovation and of you. Would love to see photos of the new space when you have time to post them!

Katie said...

Allowing breathing room - wherever it surfaces - always makes sense. Glad you gave yourself some time, and glad to have you back. :)