Friday, January 2, 2015

Holiday Break Segue

My (former) neighbors – on two sides – had daughters. Before they moved last year, they gave me boxes and boxes of hand-me-downs. It's been a treat to have so many hand-me-downs! Trixie gets to dress up for all sorts of special occasions that might otherwise go without a special outfit. Here's New Year's Eve:

(Photo removed, because I do that. Often.)

Oh, man. I can't get enough of those gold dots. So funny. Close up:

(Another removed photo.)

Also close up, here's Noah's science fair project:

(Another removed photo.)

That would be figuring out how many Legos a helium balloon can carry.

(Another removed photo.)

I, personally, had notoriously unscientific science fair projects as a kid. For example, What makes better brownies: butter, margarine or oil? I was much more interested in finding a question I deemed "cool" rather than employing a scientific methodology. So Fritz is helping Noah in a appropriate way (I guess) with this project.

(Another removed photo.)

 I can't help listening in, however. Umm. I'm not entirely sure a second grader should be doing a science fair project. Maybe it's more like father-son bonding. Or maybe it's putting all Noah's fancy math problem solving skills to good use:


Noah's reading abilities are also coming in VERY handy this break. He's comfortable picking up most of our children's books and reading them to the Trixie and Mattias. THIS IS SO COOL! Let's not jinx anything, but between you and me, the kids are at a point where they entertain each other a quite a bit. <Sigh of relief>

(Removed photo.)

We entertained ourselves with the Raclette Grill again on New Years Eve. Nothing fancy; we didn't even buy raclette cheese. (We used cheddar.) But the kids thought it was special and that was all we needed.

(Removed photo.)

This break, Mattias needs only Legos to be happy. I'm so tickled by the ideas he comes up with. Here is Santa's sleigh. As you can see, he improved the design for additional storage and helpers.

(Removed photo.)

Ostensibly, Mattias and Noah play Legos together. If you watch carefully, "playing together" means that Mattias does most of the focused work, while Noah creates subterfuge in the background. Kind of like in the photo above. At least Noah comes by his mugging talent honestly.

  (Removed photo.)

This is a beautiful cherry cake with real holly decoration that my aunt made for my birthday. It was delicious!

4 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

The dress is very cute! Little Elvis has a science fair project coming up! Bob is working with him. My idea would be something with cookies, because that's what I would want to do. Glad they are playing well together. It helps.

Idena said...

Love the gold dots! Dressing little girls is so much fun!

We are *finally* getting into Legos with my youngest. He turns 9 soon and will be having a Lego birthday party. I may be more excited than he is, but he's coming around. My oldest was all Legos all the time, and I admit I loved them too, so it's nice to see the younger one finally liking them.

Great science project!

Katie said...

Oh, Happy Happy Birthday to You! :) Let's chat about science fair. Remind me. Because I read this nodding my head uh-huh the who time. x

Katie said...

*whole* time!