Friday, January 30, 2015

Blooms

I've been on a Trader Joe's binge lately. They opened in Colorado almost a year ago, but it took me a long time to actually visit the store because I'm not a fan of crowds. (It was very crowded for the first few months after it opened.)


One of my favorite things about Trader Joe's is the fresh cut and reasonably priced flowers.  But I don't buy them; I just admire them and dream about spontaneously purchasing some.

However, I was finally swayed by the amaryllis kits in November. Not QUITE fresh cut flowers – but still something that might bloom. They were so inexpensive. I worried that something was wrong with them. I might be throwing away money. But it did bloom! I LOVE blooming stuff in the winter. Also, there's something about patiently waiting for it to bloom that makes it all the more lovely.

The christmas cactus is pretty happy, too. Must be all the neglect it's gotten since Trixie was born. Honestly, there have been several casualties among the houseplants in the last two years.

Speaking of casualties the first of the crocuses (croci?) are due any day now...except. Except. I've noticed an awful lot of rabbits hopping around our yard. "Liquid fence!" My mother tells me. But I'm not into the idea of battling the rabbits. It's one thing to plant hope, it's another thing to go to battle. Spending money on repellant so that I can spend MORE time spraying stuff around the yard every two weeks just to keep the crocuses blooming after all the time spent planting the crocuses...when does it stop? I think I'd rather do something else. Maybe I'm giving up too easily. But sometimes, you should listen to Mother Nature, you know?

See, I'm not much of a gardener after all.

2 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

They are beautiful! Wish we could have houseplants. The cats destroy anything from nature.

Jennifer said...

Love it! I bought 3 lavender plants and an orchid last time I went there - I should probably stop!