Friday, October 24, 2014

Food

The kids have been really miserable eaters lately.

Actually one kid has been miserable, one has been picky, and the other is okay.

[Removed photo.]

But let me tell you, the miserable one is taking all the fun out of food by complaining about everything that is available to eat in our house. He's subsisting on yogurt, graham crackers, and the mandatory "try-one-bite." Every time I think I've found something that he will eat, the next time it's offered he doesn't like it. About a year ago we drastically cut back on sugar in his diet and discovered that our very whiny child became even-keel. It's been great.

Except now it feels like he's fighting back.

It's no fun to expend the energy making food only to get it thrown back in your face with a big YUCK.

I think it's a 4 year-old phase. Right? Please tell me that your 4 year-old is or was picky, too.

3 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

I was just talking about picky eaters this evening! My newly turned 5yo is picky, even about stuff I know he would like if he'd try. And once he tries it, he maintains he doesn't like it even if he does. Little Elvis got out of that stage, thankfully. I forget when he did it, so I know when to look forward to the change with Baby Plum. I don't have advice. Baby Plum would live on yogurt, peanut butter and applesauce (and any sweets he could get!) if given the chance.

Ann Wyse said...

Yes - I think that we're seeing some of the I-don't-like-it-even-if-i-do around here, too! Maybe it's a control thing? I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Don't know why I don't recall this phase with Noah...

Idena said...

My youngest two children were picky at age 4. And at age 5. And 6 and so on. It took until about age 12 until my daughter started eating more foods. Now I don't consider her picky. She doesn't attempt everything, but she has many foods she'll eat and often surprises me by trying something new.
If it helps, know that we always offered her the foods but over time learned to not make a big deal about her eating them. And then one day (I remember it vividly!) she just started eating foods previously declared as "yuck".