Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Babysitter

Today I'm completely unproductive. It might be finishing the clown costumes yesterday. Or it could be the quiet before the storm. There are some big projects and events coming to the Wyse home.

About a month ago, I found a babysitter and began scheduling her for two hours once a week during the day. So that I could have 120 minutes of time to myself each week. I'm ashamed to admit that until this point in time, the number of times that I have hired a babysitter is... 3. In 7 years, three times. I'm not quite sure how you will take this: perhaps you will think I'm crazy? A control freak? I've been blogging for about 4 years now, and I've never quite felt confident enough to reveal this fact. I cringe when people talk about their "date night." Really? Is that so common? Our nonexistent babysitter is made all the more extreme by the fact that our grandparents live thousands of miles away.

On my part, there's a mixture of both pride and embarrassment. I take it very seriously that I stay at home with the kids; in my eyes, it's been a huge sacrifice, taking care of the kids is my job and dammit, I'm going to do it The Best that I can. I watch a lot of nannies and babysitters at the parks, and I'm not often impressed.... I think when I let go of one thing (my career) that I really loved for another (my kids), I felt determined to actually DO the thing. And do it WELL. Fully, completely, no excuses. I don't really believe you can have it all at once. Instead, I believe you can have different things at different times. Who says that? Oprah? I don't know. I don't watch television, but I might have read that on a blog somewhere...or maybe somebody's mom told me.

But we all have tipping points, I reached mine, and now we have a babysitter. Courtesy of this babysitter, I've been completely unproductive today. It's nice. I can see how the babysitter could become addictive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

During our first four years with children, we were far away from family. Both the children and I were not used to have babysitters. Plus I nursed for an extended time, so I was the main caregiver due to the food situation...and I also did not really want to worry about what another person would do with my kids. But at some point it was possible, I was determined enough, the kids got used to it, and there was also the necessity. My necessity was that I did not want to drag around four kids when dropping one of at sports class, or that I needed to go to a pta meeting and my husband was traveling for work. And your necessity might be that you regard your parenting as a full time job. How many days of vacation time would you have in any other job? Great that you give yourself a few hours off - and if you just read, relax or sleep, it is your time!

Pregnantly Plump said...

Congrats on finding a babysitter, and enjoying some peace and rest. It's nice getting a break.