Monday, September 15, 2014

Cars, cars

This weekend we temporarily ventured back into the territory of being a one car family. My car is still in the shop being repaired after my accident last month. The loaner car, covered for 30 days by our insurance, isn't really justifiable now that we have to pay out of pocket. That leaves us with Fritz's bug, which has only four seat belts. Our family trips will be by bike and foot for the next two weeks.

Being a one car family worked for us for a long time (until two year ago, see: The Three Kid Minivan Dilemma). I'm sure we'll adjust, but I'm really not looking forward to the necessary schedule adjustment. The schedule adjustment is going to mess up nap time. Honestly, it makes me a little teary-eyed to miss that 1 hour and 15 minutes of quiet.

I'm sure someday I'll look back on this version of myself and laugh.

On the topic of cars, we're parting ways with the 13 year old bug. We'll be upgrading to TWO cars, either one of which can seat the whole family of five(!). The boys will be sad to say goodbye to the bug, but there's nothing like being in an accident and walking away completely unscathed to make you really appreciate the current safety standards and AIRBAGS.

We've been car shopping. We still really dislike most of the 7 seat options. The only thing that we like (a little) is the Toyota Highlander. Unfortunately, they've populated our neighborhood like rabbits; that's a drawback as far as I'm concerned. And we're still rather lukewarm about the gas mileage on SUVs. I'm crossing my fingers that Volkswagen's Crossblue will be as great as it sounds: all wheel drive, 7 seats, electric-gas/diesel hybrid, reasonably priced. But it's still 2 years away from being available to the general public.

So. In the meantime, with some hesitancy, we're jumping off our Volkswagen trend a getting a Subaru Outback. (Although they're almost as popular as the Highlanders around here. Sigh.) That'll make us a two car station wagon family, which still strikes me as very luxurious indeed.

2 comments:

Idena said...

Sorry to hear about your accident. Being able to walk away without injury really does make you look at cars differently. Safety is more important than cup holders. (Until my husband was hit by a girl using her phone instead of watching the road, I used to judge cars by how many cup holders they had.)

Pregnantly Plump said...

Congrats on the new car. I'm not super happy with our 7-seater. I should have gotten a minivan. If you carpool, or travel with extra kids, it's a pain to go to three rows. It's an odd consideration, but it frustrated us last year when we carpooled, and once our neighbors get their houses fixed, it'll be a pain again.