Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First Days

No separation anxiety here. (Yet.) 
[photo removed]

School starts slowly. The first few days are half days; in the afternoon are appointments for the teachers to do beginning-of-the-year testing with each child individually. I've never heard of another school that does it this way. But maybe I'm not a very good listener.

The nervous energy comes home with Noah at noon. It spins off him and slaps the walls of house  repeatedly. All afternoon. Sometimes, the reverberation collides with Mattias or Trixie. I find myself issuing time outs on top of Times Outs! Even though the time outs are obviously not working. "Be gentle! Slow down! Think about what you are doing!" Lately, I find it most effective to take Noah aside, ensure eye contact at eye level, and appeal to his sense of greatness. "Maybe you see other kids doing that, but that doesn't mean you should do it, too. I want you to be a loving, caring person. I want you to take care of other people, for your whole life. How can you do that if you aren't practicing now, at home, with your brother and sister?"

Until I hear otherwise, I choose to believe that the kids save their most angelic behavior for other adults and keep The Rest for me, the person with whom they are most comfortable. It's an HONOR, I try to convince myself, eyebrows raised. Well, at least this way, I can see IT, know IT, address IT. Now is my chance, I think, while I still have influence.

2 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

So is the half-day adjustment not a good idea? I do think kids save their worst for their parents. In Pre-K and kindergarten, Little Elvis would get in the car at the end of the day, and immediately start pitching fits and trying to pick fights. I think it was the stress of not pitching fits all day, and he was finally letting out the steam. It was so frustrating.

Ann Wyse said...

Yes, we'd probably be dealing with the adjustment whether it was a half day or full day of school... I guess the disadvantage of the half day is that we deal with the adjustment for 3.5 more hours than if it was a full day of school. ;-)