Thursday, May 8, 2014

Late comes Early

Yesterday, I purchased some flowers for our front porch. The mystery seed mix experiment from last year was a little slow to get going and a little less colorful than I would prefer, so living flower starts it is.

The talk in the garden store was all about how Normally, in Colorado, you shouldn't plant anything before Mother's Day! But this year: You could have planted weeks ago; there haven't been any late snowstorms! I rushed home and planted almost everything I could because I was suddenly feeling late.

Late comes early, I suppose.

This is also an appropriate saying for life around the Wyse household lately. Three kids is a lot of kid. It's still overwhelming. Many days I think to myself, this is too many kids for me. Also, 8-20 months is a perpetually exhausting stage. Every now and then my head emerges from the sort of deliberate tunnel vision that this age demands and I'm shocked to discover how everything else is going by in leaps and bounds.

This past weekend, I was allowed a little perspective thanks to my parents, who flew in from the east coast for Trixie's birthday. They were a whirlwind of activity. My father patiently swept our floors no less than 15 times in the 80 hours they were here. He washed trim and painted trim and painted walls and fixed toys and assembled toys. While my mother cooked and scrubbed cabinets and picked up toys and did dishes. And together they must have read about 60 books to the kids.

So, yes, somehow, Trixie turned one this weekend. One, you say, so fast! Kind of. And kind of not. There's a definitely element of Thank goodness! when I utter the word one.

[image removed]

My parents came bearing family gifts: first, the rocking horse my grandfather made for my mother, which was my rocking horse when I was little, which is now Trixie's. The horse's name is Georgie. He seems to be a hit with the four-year-old as well.

[image removed]

Also, my dollhouse arrived, originally made and designed by my parents when I was about five. The original was pressed particle board, and over the years it warped and sagged and got moldy. So my father rebuilt it using plywood. When he told me that he was planning to do this, we had a big discussion about just how much he should change it. It felt important to me to retain much of the original dollhouse design. You can get a sense of the changes from the photos below. The rebuild is going to last several more generations! It still needs some interior decorating, however. That will be for me to complete. (Most likely after this 8-20 months stage is over!)
The dollhouse is proportioned for Barbie. I still haven't really decided how I feel about Barbie for my own daughter. Honestly, I'm not sure my gut likes Barbie, but I can intellectually throw a good argument either way. I'm still thinking about it and pretending that it's all under my control: pretending that I have some decision in the whole matter. Will Barbie be allowed to live here? Hmmm....

[image removed]

Trixie's cast came off on Monday. Another moment of Thank goodness. Trixie was undeterred by it, but I was ready for it to come off. Having a baby in a cast was kind of like having a baby and a half when you add in the cast bonuses: baby getting stuck all over the place, baby lumbering around and scratching the floor with the resin, trying to figure out what clothes can still be worn, lugging around baby awkwardly and (even) protecting yourself from the cast-used-as-weapon. Sheesh. I'm glad that's over.

[image removed]

Unfortunately, it appears that Trixie will be teaching herself to walk all over again. Her muscle tone and flexibility have been negatively impacted by the time in the cast. On the positive side, she's relentless in her quest to be up on her feet. And I'm ready for her to walk.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Oh how I love the story about the rocking horse and the doll house!
My friend has three boys, and the youngest decided to like purple and pink at around age three (he inherited several nice clothes from my girls). Somehow, he got his hands on some barbies (not from us) and his happiest Christmas was when all of a sudden there was a big doll house for his barbies. Same style as yours, my friend played with it when she was young! Well, the boy outgrew the pink and purple stage, but the house is still a big hit - with or without barbies.
If you need ideas for other doll styles, this is what we have around here:
http://www.puppenhaus-welt.de/index.php?cl=details&anid=0821c3c536249540d6cf4c45c14a9d51&gclid=CPj59OG8nr4CFQIOOgod-HAAQw


And about those intense times:
Sometimes I wonder how I survived those early years. I am still thankful that I can now take a shower without having a child taking my tampon box apart, that I have some time to blow-dry my hair and put on some make-up in the morning if I want to (not too often), that our weekends are not based on a precise plan about who takes care of which child while the other parent does this or that. It changes, believe me! And there is a time for everything...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TRIXIE!

Ann Wyse said...

I like your thought about Barbies: maybe it's not either/or but both/and. Maybe Barbie can be diluted rather than eliminated. ;-)

Pregnantly Plump said...

I'm glad she had a happy birthday, and you got a break. The house and the horse are great! My two littles find the furniture in dollhouses extremely interesting. I read something the other day about a doll named Lamilly. She's based on the proportions of an average 19-year-old girl.
And I'm glad the cast is off. I'm sure that's a big relief.

Katie Neuman said...

One! Happy 1st Birthday to Trixie! The doll house is amazing and how wonderful that your parents could be here. They seem incredibly thoughtful (and helpful!)

idena said...

Happy first birthday Trixie!