Monday, April 21, 2014

Future Flash

Do you ever have a flash, where you suddenly see a future, older version of your child? It has only happened to me a handful of times in the last 7 years. Today, I had such a flash with Mattias, as he was sneaking something out of my bedroom and into his own room. Whatever it was was hidden behind his back. He was telling me he had nothing; he was standing in the shadows; his jaw was angled upward as he nodded in such a way as to procure my agreement.

Instead of seeing a sneaky 4 year-old, I saw defiant 17 year-old, with the beginnings of stubble on that angled jaw.

I briefly focused on memorizing the details of his sneaky behavior, so that I can catch glimpses of it in the future, if necessary. Something tells me a defiant 17 year-old might be more gifted at hiding things.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh yes! ;)

Pregnantly Plump said...

Ha! Sometimes I catch Baby Plum at an angle that I can see him aging a bit, but I think it's just because his face shape is just like mine. I think I'm just seeing myself in him. He's my sneaky one as well.