Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Uncrated

This weekend we got the new-old furniture uncrated. It's so nice....to have those crates out of our garage. Just kidding! It's nice to have the furniture set up. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and gemütlich(!), feelings that I never expected to have by resurrecting my parent's furniture. It's way more comfortable to sit on the sofa and chairs now that there are tables to put things on. Boy, did I miss tables.

I kept the baby and Christmas cards, because I didn't want to bias you unfairly.
I'm digging the change. But key aspects of this room (rug, pigeon blue leather stuff, plants) are so strong that you might not even notice the difference on first glance. I still find it interesting to compare, thus the before and after above. With the tables and shelves (without the hutch) the room feels a little less bottom heavy, I think. And maybe a little warmer, too? I hadn't really thought about it before but, you know, chairs and sofas create a really strong datum line in a room. Use a dry, masculine voice to say the following: Here is the bottom of the room. (Pause.) Here is the top of the room. (Pause.) Tall shelves and plants are a nice way to break up the datum. If that's what you want, of course.

Sometimes, I think it's perfectly acceptable to intentionally create two halves (but mostly not). Sometimes, I think my palm plant reminds me of a German coffee and cake shop (that would be bad, too). Six of one, half dozen of another.

Okay, one more photo, different time of day, different perspective; then I better go do some mom-work.


2 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

It looks great! I really like the warm, yellowy tones of the wood with the blue furniture.

Anonymous said...

Glad you kept the baby ;)