Friday, September 27, 2013

Food and Legos and BLW



I know. She looks so old, doesn't she? She's almost 5 months and she nurses every hour (even at night right now! Yay!) She is really big for her age.

What face is Grandma making right now, Trixie?


Spacefem wrote about the 4-5 month Baby Sequestration on her blog the other day. Yes. Exactly. All that nursing, feeling trapped....The pediatricians we see have very recently changed their recommendations regarding starting solids from 6 to 5 months based on this study that looked at Type 1 diabetes. We're not a high risk group, but I might go ahead and give Trixie a banana a little earlier with new, scientific-sounding reasoning.


I'm a big fan of the strangely named method of solids introduction known as Baby Led Weaning. It should really be named Baby Led Self Feeding. My German friend Diana introduced me to it when Noah was born and we were still living in Munich. I think it's more popular in Europe than here in the States. I also think it may be a method that works well with stay-at-home-parents, but it would be a lot less successful if a baby was in daycare.

The basic premise is to go with a baby's developmental stages in letting them explore/eat food. No mushy spoon feeding. You can, for example, give the 6 month old baby a full, peeled apple and let him or her suck on it. It's too big too swallow. And it's pretty hard to get a piece off the apple without teeth to bite. But the kid gets a good taste and gets used to the idea of feeding herself. She gets to use her new-found manipulative powers on her tasty toys. I like this methodology because I think it gives the baby more control over what she eats and sets her up for better eating habits as an adult.  (For example: Stop eating when I'm full. / Eat the foods with nutrients my body needs.) What I like most about it is that I've found it teaches babies NOT to swallow when something feels "wrong" in their mouth. At least, this has truly been my experience with Noah and Mattias.



The not swallowing is going to be pretty important in our house, because, dear internet, the legos are going to be really hard to manage.  The boys play with the legos ALLLLLL the time. For my own sanity, I'm not sure I can really pack them up and put them away. So we are trying, TRYING, to confine them to the boys' bedroom. BUT. I have to a realist here, keeping the legos confined to the bedroom will require no less than CONSTANT VIGILANCE on my part.

Best to approach the problem from two directions: constance vigilance with the legos AND teaching Trixie to spit "it" out when "it" feels wrong.

4 comments:

"Gramma" said...

Will she get some avocados, too? Good fat for brain growth, someone told me once.

Ann Wyse said...

Oh yes, we will definitely do avocados!

twisterfish said...

Those children are so adorable!

Ann Wyse said...

@Twisterfish: :-) (Thanks!)