Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Mystery Seed Mix Experiment

This year I decided to minimize my gardening and planting. I thought it would be too stressful to keep pace with last year, given the newborn in the house. Then, I met a new neighbor at the playground and she recognized our house because of the flowers we've put on the front railing the last two summers!

July 2012

It suddenly seemed important to at least find something to put on the porch!

Fritz decided to try his hand at it. The last two summers, he's been rather grumpy about the cost of the flowers. I am a little ashamed to admit that I spent about $300 on the flowers last summer. I bought most of the flowers at the nursery, already as little (what do you call it?) plantlets (??)  I knew it was a lot of money. But, I reasoned, I'm learning; I made some mistakes in purchasing! I'll get better at this.

Fritz thinks – well, like the money-saving scientist he is, I suppose – so he bought several packets of seeds: some tall plants, some hanging plants, and some in the middle. Then he dumped all the seed packets in a bowl and stirred them up. He evenly distributed the seeds across the dirt, and evenly distributed a little dirt over the seeds. (And he threw away the seed packets.) Which yielded this:

July 2013

Umm. Hmmm.

In May, feeling discouraged by the progress, I added sweet potato vine and shasta daisies (from the nursery). But they have been totally and completely overtaken by Fritz's Mystery Seed Mix this month. And you know, I'm not opposed to the idea of using seeds, but it would be nice to know what's growing in there. If something works well, I'd definitely repeat it.

I think there might be sunflowers. Fritz assures me that IF there are sunflowers in there (he doesn't remember what he bought) then he bought short ones. What's short for a sunflower? Three feet? Four feet? The sunflower-like plants are currently two feet tall and budless. Should I just cut out the sunflower-like plants? It seems like they are stressing all the other plants.

Hmmm.

This particular pot seems to be doing a little better. It only has one short sunflower-like plant. At least there's a little color in this arrangement.


Hmmm.

Well, the porch this summer is not exactly what I had in mind.

But nobody knows that unless I tell them. The secret can be just between us, okay?

3 comments:

Katie said...

Fritz's Mystery Seed Mix! Laughing over here. Love it! :)

Pregnantly Plump said...

The green certainly looks healthy and lush. I like the color of flowers, but the green is nice, too. The idea of surprise flowers is kind of fun. Maybe you'll end up with new breeds.

large trees for sale said...

there s pretty array of diffrent annuals in your planters. i like them all.