Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Please read media from non US sources.

I don't get it: did you know that this afternoon North Korea officially declared nuclear strikes against the US okay?  Isn't that like, um, declaring war? How is it possible that none of the major American media sources I read have even mentioned this? If they are mentioning North Korea, it plays out TOTALLY differently than how foreign sources are stating it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!)

Here it is in German on der Spiegel.

Here it is in the London Times.

Even if North Korea is not to be taken seriously, don't you think US media might mention this? WTF. Sometimes I really wonder.

Update: this morning (4/4) I'm more appeased that some American media outlets are reporting this more similarly to the European ones. But, still! I really suggest scanning a non-American media source for your daily news, because sometimes the difference in reporting is shocking!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nobody seems to get nervous...maybe it's because they have this cartoon in mind:
http://www.economist.com/news/world-week/21574496-kals-cartoon

Therese said...

Maybe it's cuz (and I'm really hoping this is the case) it's just not that big of a deal? It sounds terrifying but apparently it's just a show of "strength." But who knows, N. Koreans are insane.

Still...you're right. It's a hell of a lot more interesting than the Kardashians.

Pregnantly Plump said...

We listen to BBC Newsday at night from our local NPR station. We used to get a different version of BBC that I really preferred, but I guess the Newsday is cheaper. One of my friends showed me a story on her phone on Thursday morning. I think our news must just agree that he's a big nutcase.