Monday, March 18, 2013

Mischief, Dresser, Mystery Plant

The last two or three weeks, Mattias has entered a new phase. He's become MISCHIEVOUS. Really, really mischievous. The good news is that prior to this phase, everything seemed so calm and manageable and harmonious for the first time in years that I kept dreading the addition of baby-induced chaos. However baby-induced chaos on top of existing mischief feels less jolting.

Yes, fine, let's have this baby. Life is crazy anyway, let's make it a little more crazy. No big deal.

[image removed]

Fritz is of the complete opposite mind on this: he would prefer everything to be working tidily when Trixie is born. So, that's sort of interesting: I'm now less stressed about Trixie's arrival, but Fritz is more stressed. Maybe there's some happy medium whereby Mattias loses the mischievous streak before the birth, making Fritz feel better, while I stay accepting of the coming change.

[image removed]

We found a used dresser. Wood drawer bottoms, wood rails, drawers open and close smoothly, ETC. I'm happy with it! Except for the part where I'm going to strip the darker stain, clear coat it and replace the handles. (Ha ha!) I think those are the same handles MY childhood dresser had.


The mystery houseplant is an aralia. A ming aralia, we think. I got a whole bunch of advice and help from my aunts this weekend to save it: most of which involved getting it out of the terra cotta/clay pot, putting it in a smaller pot, and replacing the dry soil with something that holds moisture better. So far, so good. I'll keep you posted, because of course you'll want to know if it can transform itself into a proper version.

3 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

Baby Plum is mischievous. He was right before Cheese Puff was born, but calmed down some after. He's not into as much stuff, although I think he's just waiting for a true partner in crime!
Congrats on the dressers. One thing about the handles -- I replaced my old dresser's handles with more modern, streamlined ones, and you could still see the outline just a bit. I had to really, really sand that area to get rid of that.

Sara Struckman said...

So, we were at Ikea today with the sole goal of buying the kids a new dresser. When I saw what was available, I thought of your post. I couldn't do it. My husband was pretty frustrated that we drove all the way down there with the explicit purpose to buy a dresser. I held my ground. Now I'm on the lookout for a small-ish well-made dresser. Thanks a lot :).

P.S. I had those handles on my childhood dresser too!

Ann Wyse said...

Oh, no, Sara! I'm sorry! I'm sure you'll find something - it just might take a bit longer ;-).