Saturday, February 9, 2013

To Go

I think today is a day that I'm suppose to post something, but I've got nothing. Or nothing ready to go.

Here's what's on my agenda tonight: watch House of Cards. It's the just-released Netflix series about Washington politics with Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood, House Majority Whip. I'm having a love-hate relationship with this series. After episode 6, I was in love. But now we are on episode 11-ish. It might have gone too far. I'd say it jumped-the-shark, but that's way too nice an expression for what happened last night. Anyone else watching this? What do you think? I've only read professional reviews, and they seem as noncommittal as me.

What I like: characters are dark and complicated. Sometimes, I feel like I'm "playing along" try to outwit Frank Underwood at his own game. The show affirms what I've always suspected about Washington, it's all a big game! (What? It's just television? It's fake? Really?? Shhh! Don't tell me that!)

What I don't like: the characters are starting to look not just darkly complicated, but downright EVIL. In which case, I might start taking sides instead of "playing along." The intro drives me crazy with it's darkening skies and shadows over Washington DC. For 9 episodes, I've hoped this intro was not some heavy-handed foreshadowing (ha ha) of the show to come. Now I fear it might have been. BLECH.

2 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

I read an interesting article about Kevin Spacey, and kind of the show in last week's Entertainment Weekly. It wasn't exactly a review, but he seemed to say that his character was just pure evil. I really like him as an evil guy, though. He does bad very well.

Therese said...

I tried to summon interest in this show...but nah. I'm just waiting for the new Arrested Developments.