Sunday, February 3, 2013

Skiing!!!!

I'm not an athletic person. I like to sit on the sofa and read books with a cup of hot cocoa. There is but one single athletic endeavor for which I will abandon my cozy cocoon: downhill skiing.

The first winter Noah was walking, we strapped on the skis and took him outside to the nearest snow. Poor kid. He was about 20 months old:

[this used to be a silly photo of a kid barely standing on skis]

It made a funny photo, but this was the reality at the actual ski slope:

[this was a photo of me in winter weather gear, hauling Noah around in a hiking backpack]

We've persisted in trying again each year.

[this was a photo of Fritz trying to teach Noah to ski]

And you know, it's getting better. But we're slowed down by things like a younger sibling, a pregnant mother, and finding the time and patience to drive to the mountains.

[this was a photo of Noah actually standing, somewhat competently, in skis]

This year appears to be a bit of a sweet spot for Noah. He's developed the muscle strength and endurance to actually spend 3 hours at a time on the slope. He's still 5 years old, meaning that his lift ticket is free. He can manage the car ride to the mountains and back. And he's figured out how to stop on a slope without falling over (Hallelujah!). It's so freaking exciting. We're scheduling up his weekends to get in as much slope time as possible this season.

I can't wait until we all can join him!

3 comments:

Therese said...

I started ski lessons when I was five too! I was horrified of the chairlift. How is he with that? Man I wish I had the muscle strength for 3 hours on the slopes.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there - there will be the winter when all of you can go together. For us, it took a long time, but it was worth the wait and efforts. Now even our youngest one can do the easy slopes. We just find some kind of arrangement where one of the adults goes with the older ones on some more difficult slopes in between, or we take friends and split up the kids between the two families and the two sets of adults. And who knows, maybe you will have a chance to join us for skiing in the Alps at some point? Would be exciting!

Pregnantly Plump said...

Very fun! Bob grew up skiing, and I've gone a couple of times. He's obviously much better since he learned as a kid, but it's still lots of fun. It's a fun winter sport.