Monday, January 28, 2013

New Yard Play

In my mind, the yard should be Messy and Wild. It should be a space for children. There should be lots of overgrown plants to climb around and behind and under. There should be secret spots to dig holes and bury treasures. There should be trees to climb and stones to throw (but not while I'm looking, and NEVER at anyone, of course). We've planted 7 trees and many bushes in our 2 years here. Every summer, we've planted lots of vegetables. But the bushes and trees take time. They take patience and care and their own little plumbing line because it's so DRY in Colorado. Sometimes they die, even with the best of care. I live with a future version of our yard in my head. A version where the trees are big enough that lawn mowing won't cut them down.

Because, in reality, the yard is sparse, especially at this time of the year.


It's warm. The door is open between indoors and out. I listen to the boys' improvisational outdoor singing from the table inside:

Twinkle twinkle little star
How I can get a dirty car?

I smile to myself. That was Mattias. I'm impressed by his rhyming ability, never mind the funky grammar. Then:

Twinkle twinkle little star
How I can get a muddy car?

I decide that it's time I have some visual confirmation on the activity at hand. We have guests arriving in 10 minutes. Muddy cars don't sound good.

They're digging in the vegetable garden box. The water drip line has been dismantled and rearranged, but the mud seems minimal. I figure this is small trade-off for some healthy outdoor playing. I suggest we brush off and head inside.

Noah attempts his escape.


Well, at least they're still digging and climbing, even if there are no plants to hide among.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Mud was made here this past weekend too. Laughed out loud at the bit about the trees growing large enough to not be mowed over. ;)

Pregnantly Plump said...

We might have mud tomorrow. We finally raked all the leaves off our deck this weekend, and Baby Plum's enjoyed the huge new leaf pile.
I like the little song! Very impressive rhyming.