Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cinnamon Ornaments without Applesauce

I've had some questions about the cinnamon ornaments I blogged about last year. It took me a little while to recreate my steps because somewhere between then and now, I lost the recipe. However, we worked through it today, and I'm happy to give our recipe for cinnamon (nonedible!) ornaments (without applesauce):

Mix together:
1 cup (about 100 grams) cinnamon
4 Tablespoons of white craft glue (Elmer's in the US)
1/2 to 1 cup of water, add slowly!

The dough will hold together nicely without cracking when you have the right amount of water. I suggest starting with 1/2 cup of water and adding a tablespoon at a time, as needed. Roll out dough to about 3/8 inch or 1 cm thick. Thicker ones always look better, to my eye. Use cookie cutters to cut out designs. (I love to nest the same shape cookies cutters and get an outline.) Use a straw to poke holes.


Ornaments will take about 4 days to dry on parchment paper. Flip ornaments every 8 hours, otherwise they will curl. Alternatively, use a food dehydrator. (I'm using a food dehydrator this year, because I'm under time pressure.) Ornaments will shrink as they dry.

There are lots of cute ideas out there for decorating these further, but most of them are still beyond the boys' ability. If I'm lucky this year, I'll get Noah to write his name and the year in white colored pencil on them.

9 comments:

twisterfish said...

Thank you for posting this! My daughter made these years ago in school and I've been searching ever since for the directions on how to make them.

missjoules said...

Do these need to be flipped in the dehydrator? And at what temperature did you dry them?

Thanks!

Ann Wyse said...

I did not flip them in the dehydrator; but they did get rack marks on one side. Maybe if I flipped them, they wouldn't have rack marks? Or alternatively, they would have had rack marks on both sides if I flipped them? Not sure, you might need to experiment with this for the result you want.

I used about 135 degrees F/ 58 C.

missjoules said...

Thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

You can also put them in an oven. Put in at 200 degrees Celsius until dry. I put them on a cookie sheet and kept an eye on them for a few hours. They turned out amazing. I am now going to put everyones initial on them and use them as name tags for Christmas presents.

Anonymous said...

I am highly dissappointed! Anonymous said that you can put these in the oven for a few hours on 200 degrees celsius (392 fahrenheit) I put them in there on 385 for about 45 minutes and checked on them thinking I had plenty of time and they are charred! They are dark brown/black and curled up. *sigh* what a waste of delicious cinnamon.

Anonymous said...

Another Anon here. Most cookies bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 350F so there's no way these ornaments would last a few hours at 385F. That 26 November recommendation has gotta be 200F which would make it warmer than the average temp of a dehydrator (135F) but much cooler than a typical baking temp.

Amy Ross said...

I am betting the first Anonymous poster meant 200 F. That would be close to the temperature of a dehydrator.

Kermitfan said...

I just tried these. They are so cute going in to the oven! Merry Christmas from Wyoming!