Monday, November 12, 2012

just tired

I feel that I owe some sort of explanation for my absence on this blog lately. Unfortunately, the reason is so mundane that I've had a hard motivating myself to type it out:

I'm so tired.

Really, really tired.

I'm sleeping about 12 hours a day. Physically, I feel mostly good. The morning sickness is decidedly over. But my need for sleep is overwhelming normal functioning. How can I sleep 12 hours a day? Well, I go to bed when the boys do and nap during the day when Mattias naps. The house is a filthy mess. Dishes and laundry are going undone.

Among the people I've talked to about my tiredness, there are lots of different explanations. Some think that being pregnant when you have a school age child is more exhausting than being pregnant with (just) a toddler. Some think it's standard with the third pregnancy. Some think it's my age. Some think I need more exercise. My doctor doesn't have a theory, since I haven't told her. But I can guess what she would suspect and find:

The last two times I was pregnant, I struggled keeping my iron levels high enough. In fact, even during nonpregnancy (ha!), I struggle with getting enough iron. Over the years, I've created my own little tautology about why this is. My version goes like this: well, I've never really liked meat. I still don't like meat. Meat has a lot of iron in it. And eating meat is the most effective way to absorb iron. MAYBE, it's not just me who doesn't like meat, MAYBE my body doesn't like meat because it has so much iron in it in the first place. Maybe MY BODY hates iron. Which would explain why every iron supplement out there seems to make me terribly sick. And it would also explain why I find myself avoiding iron supplements, even in pregnancy, and even if it means I'm A LOT more tired than usual.

Does it work that way? Can I consciously choose between being either 1) tired or 2) sick? Hmmm... maybe I better google complications of anemia in pregnancy.

For the record, however, my tiredness is getting to be more than I can handle. So I'm either going to make myself sick by taking iron supplements or make myself sick by eating some red meat. Maybe we should take a vote? At least that would make a not-very-fun situation ... more interesting? Less sleep-provoking?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your huge tiredness. I wish I could send you a bag full of energy!
You probably know your body best and your assumption that the low level of iron makes you tired is right. But there is a chance that a thyroid dyfunction can make you tired as well...have you had it checked already?

Ann Wyse said...

Hmm... I've heard of that, but haven't had it checked. Good point. I'll look into it.

Simply Bike said...

Hang in there, Ann! I developed anemia during my pregnancy and had to supplement with iron pills. I don't know thought that I could tell a difference from pre-iron to post-iron. When is your due date? Hope you're able to figure something out with the feeling tired thing and wishing you a continued good pregnancy!

S.

Pregnantly Plump said...

I was exhausted through my first trimester with Little Elvis. I slept whenever I didn't have to work, and even slept on the way to work when I could find a seat on the Metro. I was mildly anemic, but I just assumed my child would be high energy, and was sapping all of mine. He is, in fact, very high energy.
As for the iron, the supplements made my stomach ache. Just ache. Some prenatals have more iron than others, right? Could that help? Isn't there also iron in broccoli? Maybe that might work?
My energy did come back.

twisterfish said...

I am not a red meat fan either, and that got me thinking about other foods with iron. Here's what google told me:

"Red meat; Egg yolks; Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards); Dried fruit (prunes, raisins); Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels); Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops); Turkey or chicken giblets; Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans; Liver; Artichokes. And if you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron."

I'm surprised by some of those items on the list (turkey and artichokes).

I second the suggestion to have your thyroid checked. That might be part of the reason as well.

Shalini said...

Ooh, yes, thyroid! Thirded!