Monday, June 25, 2012

A Really Different Salad

A few months ago, my brother asked me if I had an unusual green salad recipe. I think his exact words were: "something really different." I immediately thought of a salad that my friend, Kathy, made while we were still in Munich. The original version comes from Jamie Oliver; I've attempted to recreate it through internet searches and my memory.

The funny thing is, I don't love most of the ingredients in this salad, but somehow they come together to make one of the most delicious salads I've ever tasted.

(Lately, this salad has inspired a whole line of crazy herb salads by Noah. He was completely overwhelmed by the idea of grabbing plants out of the garden and tossing them in a bowl to make a salad. Basil Blueberry Sweet Pea Salad, anyone?)

Also, if you dare to plant mint and cilantro in your garden, then this is the recipe you need:


I don't know the original name, so I'll make one up:

Watermelon Mint Feta Salad

Toss in bowl:
3 cups watermelon, cubed
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
2 cups fresh mint leaves
5 oz arugula (I buy the pre-washed box. Because I'm too lazy to grow arugula.)
6-8 small red radishes, thinly sliced

Dressing, combine, mix and correct as needed:
1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 anaheim pepper, finely sliced (Anaheims are mild-hot, but you could do chilis, too.)
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
6 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3+ limes (to taste)
freshly ground salt and pepper (to taste)

Dress salad. Just before serving, add:
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted and warm

(If you would like Noah's Basil Blueberry Sweet Pea recipe instead, please contact him directly.)

3 comments:

Katie said...

Yum! I need to get on the watermelon, mint, and feta wagon. I always see these combined but have yet to try it myself.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe - although I usually stay away from those that sound too complicated (too many ingredients are my problem). Noah's recipe sounds wonderful and healthier than the flour-sugar-cocoa-raisin mix that usually sits on our back porch to 'bake' in the sun.
Yes, it amazes kids when you grab a flower (calendula in our case) and put it in the salad. Q. then wonders whether you die when you taste a non-edible plant...

Ann Wyse said...

I know! I'm not a fan of complicated recipes, either - or, at least, not since having kids. Sometimes, though, they ARE fun. And I've started allowing Noah to cut vegetables under supervision, so salads are high on our current list of foods to make. ;-)