Monday, June 18, 2012

Maybe there WILL BE challenges...

Looking at kindergartens, we were told that sometimes bilingual children need a little extra help in the first few years of school: particularly when they are learning to read and write.

Noah, in English, on the phone with grandma today:

"Yes....Yes.... I can spell some words....I can spell 'car'....Okay.... A...U....T....O....Yes....I did.... That IS how you spell car.... A–U–T–O. Car."

(Auto is German for car.)

So much for phonics.

I looked up at the wall and saw this: (which makes the mistake a little more understandable...?)

In the upper right hand corner(ish) of this photo is the word "auto" spelled in magnetic letters.

2 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

Very funny. Never thought about those types of misunderstandings being bilingual.

Shalini said...

Oh, I think that's adorable.