Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Summer is What Happens in Your Head

I signed Noah up for summer camp and guess what? TOTAL RELIEF.

I had not realized how much stress it was causing me to always be thinking (as I have been for about 3 months now) about summer and summer camps.
[photo removed]
You know, I just feel like there's this balance to be achieved: I want the boys to get along well with each other. I want them to be friends. I think they need to spend time together for this to happen. I think they need to be bored together. Which means: they need to be pushed a bit. And I will be pushed as well.  There will probably be strife as they work through togetherness.

At the same time, I think they need time apart, they need space, they need their own activities and friends, they need to grow independently. The flow of behaviors and attitudes between them (and it goes both directions) is not always desirable.

I can't stop trying to anticipate the necessary intervention, even as their relationship ebbs and flows at its own rate.

So, in the end, the decision was all about me. I will need Noah to be in summer camp for a little bit here and there. And I feel much better now.

3 comments:

Shalini said...

Oh yes, I need S. and K. to be in summer camps, too, but only one of them will comply. Harumph.

Craftwhack said...

I seriously think that summer camp is the most wonderful thing to ever happen to summer. It's incredible for both parents and kids.

Pregnantly Plump said...

I understand that. Plus, don't they say distance makes the heart grow fonder? Or something like that. And I look forward to the summer events for the break that it gives me as well.