Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Birthdays

Both the boys had birthdays this past week: Noah, 5, and Mattias, 2. We aren't big birthday celebrators. This year, in fact, was the first year that Noah had a party with his friends. It was also the first year that Noah did NOT celebrate with any of our extended family.

I don't know why it's been like this, but every year since Noah was born there have been other things happening at the same time. Things that have kept the peer interaction to a minimum. (My ACL and meniscus surgery (1), our cross atlantic move between Munich and Denver (2) , Mattias' birth (3), and a trip to Germany(4)). We've always managed to celebrate with some extended family, however.

This year, we really did miss our extended family.

In some sort of neurotic guilt trip for both the lack of family and all the years of peer-less parties, I began sewing 46 flag pennants to decorate with for the parties. Fritz calls them prayer flags. Which may be appropriate in this instance. Especially on our mind this year: prayers for our health. (Man, have we spent a lot of time sick this spring.) Prayers for the family we wouldn't be seeing. Mattias's birthday party was a small affair with just the four of us. Noah had 2 parties: a Home Birthday Party with friends (no photos, but he had a super time) and a party with the four of us (decidedly less exciting for him).

7 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

Very cute photos, especially the one at the end! I hope they had happy celebrations. The birthday flags look very cute.

Ann Wyse said...

Thanks, Pregnantly Plump. I think Noah's party with friends was perfect for him. (Although I worried and fussed about it a lot!)

Shalini said...

happy birthday to them both! And I don't know why, but I thought Matthias was older than he is. Babies you've got!

Craftwhack said...

I spied the flags in the first photo and wondered if you made them. Cute! And the cake looks pretty delicious, too. Happy Birthday to your little monkeys.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday - I also love the flags, they almost look like something from HABA. Can I order some?
And what are the blue stripes on the floor, are they part of a game?
By the way, I have a scone recipe by Julia Child. It is the only one I have ever tried...but maybe I should try yours, too? No need to convert, though...
Glad to read from you again!!!

Ann Wyse said...

Thanks everyone!

The blue stripes on the floor are painters tape. We played a game using pull back racing cars/mice.

I honesty had so much fun making the flags, I'm a little bit tempted (for the first time ever) to set up an Etsy store. But I fear that might take the fun out of it...

twisterfish said...

Love the flags. Love that last photo as well... such cuteness! Happy bday to your boys!