Monday, April 2, 2012

Alle Kochen mit Wasser (but there are still different results)

=Everybody Cooks with Water, German saying


A few weeks ago, one of my friends made these scones. I've gone through a lot of scone recipes over the years and this one is my favorite ever. I can not stop making these scones! (I, personally, like substituting chocolate chips and dried cranberry for the raisins. )

[photo removed]

I think what makes this recipe so great is NOT the ingredients, per se, but the instructions. Grating frozen butter? Really? Yes, it's fantastic! The dough is usually still quite cold when I stick it in the oven. Second, I'm a big fan of the wedge shaped scones and I think this recipe has the secret: use a sharp knife to cut the dough. Ah ha! Even my particular German in-laws were quite taken by these scones. We rewrote the recipe in grams so that they could take it home with them. (But again, I really think it's the instructions that make all the difference.)

Also, Simply Bike has been doing a really wonderful series on bilingual families. I've really enjoyed learning about how other families are raising their children with two (or more) languages. I've also appreciated some of the insights about their struggles. From my perspective, sometimes being a bilingual family can feel pretty lonely. The pressure to conform to the linguistic environment is immense. (I can certainly relate to being treated as an aggressor, even if we are both speaking our native language!) I suggest checking out the series, especially if this is something you are doing.

6 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

We made some cranberry orange scones over the holidays that I thought were pretty good, but the boys weren't fans.
I have a friend who is raising her daughter bilingual, and my nephew is bilingual. Their biggest issues were that both started talking later (compared to other children, not mine.)

Ann Wyse said...

It's interesting: anecdotally, I have heard that children being raised bilingually speak later.... Wasn't the case for us, but I can imagine why it would be so.

Craftwhack said...

These look delicious, and I haven't made scones in a super long time. I'll try 'em! (blueberries.) I wonder why the kids would tend to speak later- if it's a matter of confusion, or if they're spending their energy absorbing everything mentally before making a stab at conversing.

Ann Wyse said...

Craftwhack - do try the scones, you won't be disappointed!

Shalini said...

Ooh, grating butter is genius! I wonder if it would work for pie dough as well.

Ann Wyse said...

Oh, good point! I might have to try it.