Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Domino Named Laptop, Part One

Some periods of life feel like a gigantic domino game with one little fall after the next. At least, that's the way the last two months have felt around here. I think we're nearing the end; or I'm more of an optimist than I give myself credit for. It's not really that bad. It's just that things can feel a little out of control.

I would LOVE to keep up a steady stream of random blog posts to distract myself, but technological problems are foiling my efforts!  Here's what I look like sitting on the floor, using a footstool, trying to use the television computer (to blog and) distract myself from the Domino Named Housework:

You can thank Noah for his photo taking skills.
Aside: Yes, a monitor can be too big to use effectively.

So, I guess it is already pretty clear to most readers: I like to make stuff. Even: I need to make stuff. Making stuff keeps me sane. I used to think I needed physical, tangible projects, but in the last several years, I've discovered that the physicality of my creations might not be so important. For example, blogging alone has done a pretty good job filling my need. I think of each post as a little creation. Simply the act of putting together a post can bring down my anxiety level.

Blogging is also the type of activity that fits really well with being at home with the boys. Hauling my laptop around the house is actually easier than hauling Mattias around the house. I can have a flash of brilliance (ha ha), note it on my desktop, work for a minute here or there, pause, resume later, edit after bedtime, and not have a trail of mess behind me. It's inexpensive! It's neat and clean and goes with the rhythm.

Physical projects? Not so much.

Surely, multiple somebodies have written about this Mommy Blogging Laptop Phenomenon more eloquently. Please leave any links below, because as much as I love blogging, I'm not a writer. But I love an eloquent post.

Without my convenient little laptop buddy for bloggy projects, I'm resorting to actual physical projects. That's a domino effect right there. I'm just warning you. Things might be about to get a little bit make-y, create-y around here.

2 comments:

Craftwhack said...

I can't wait to see the results of the make-y create-yness.
But in the meantime, I so completely feel the same way about blogging. It fills that need to make something even when you don't have the time to put all of your focus on a project. It is strangely satisfying.

twisterfish said...

I agree too! At the end of the day I can say at least I've done something productive. The house is a mess, but I posted on my blog... so, successful day (though husband doesn't quite agree).