Monday, November 7, 2011

Preschooler knows Best

How do you tell a preschooler to stop being bossy?  See if you can spot Noah's teacher's strategy transplanted into this Get Dressed! conversation:

Me: Noah, would you please put your clothes on?

Noah: ...

Me: Noah, can you get dressed, please?

Noah: ...

(Repeat a number of times proportional to patience level.)

Me: Noah. Put. Your. Clothes. On.

Noah: I don't like it when you talk to me like that!

Me: Then get dressed!

Noah: Mommy, everyone gets to decide what they want to do for themselves.

Me: Okay, well, I guess you decided to stay here while Mattias and I go shopping.

Noah: Huh?

Me: Well, we're going shopping. You need to be dressed if you want to come with us. Otherwise, you stay here.

Noah: No! Mommy, you can't do that! Parents are suppose to take care of us kids. That's your job. You can't leave me!

Me: Then get dressed. Come on. Pajamas off. Clothes on.

Noah: I said no! Everyone gets to decide what they want to do for themselves!

Me: Then you decided to stay here.

Noah: No! Parents are suppose to take care of us kids...

 (Repeat.)

4 comments:

Katie (Mama May I) said...

Is it wrong to say I loved reading this?! Two reasons: Hilarious and so true, and the realization that I'm not alone. ;)

Shalini said...

I think you must have my kids. I have this conversation every. single. day.

Pregnantly Plump said...

So funny! Little Elvis is the same way. I have to repeat most things several times. I do the whole threat thing -- "You will be late for school, and I'll have to write your teacher a note saying that you decided not to get dressed this morning." I talked to another mother who said she finally just told her son to get in the car in his PJs to go to school. She said he got dressed very quickly after that. I haven't had the chance to try that one yet. We've been playing new songs in the morning, and he has to be dressed before we play them. He's a big fan of "Blitzkreig Bop" and "Shake your Booty." It's a good incentive for now.

Anonymous said...

How to talk yo your children will listen might not be a good idea, since appearantly he is listening very well. What about logical concequences like: leave the house in pyjamas (see above). You still take care of him, but gets to decide his part...and he will understand!