Tuesday, October 25, 2011

5 PM: Happy Hour

Do you have days when you finally put the kids to bed and you stop to breathe and you think: I feel traumatized? Like you just survived a battle? Like your heart is still pounding in your chest? Because I feel like that sometimes. I have these little arguments with myself where I say to myself,

"Ann, you are NOT traumatized. YOU do not even know what trauma is. You live in a nice house, in a wealthy country.You have a very healthy, happy family.You get to spend your day with your family! You are lucky. Lucky, I say! NOT TRAUMATIZED. THINK GOOD THOUGHTS, POSITIVE THOUGHTS!"

And yet, I still close my eyes, bury my head, set my jaw firmly in place, and try to will the boys to sleep a little bit better and a little bit longer through the night. Please....

It's hard to remember the days when I used to look forward to 5pm. Grandma will think this video is funny.  Maybe I, too, will think it's funny - TEN YEARS FROM NOW. I advise anyone else, especially those with little kids, to JUST SURF ALONG to the next blog. Anything that I have to say today has already been said. Although joining the antics of these two might make me feel better, especially considering the potential snow day tomorrow.

7 comments:

Katie (Mama May I) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie (Mama May I) said...

At first I thought about showing this clip to my little guy knowing he'd get a hoot out of it, but then I thought - No way! He'll get the same idea. ;)

As for your first paragraph - I feel like that way more than I'd care to fess up to.

Anonymous said...

I remember MY three little darlings trying such antics years ago! Even though I laughed at this video, when it happened to me, my first reaction was to say, "We do NOT scream in the house. Stop now or you will have a time out!" (And under my breath I was muttering - where did I put that duct tape???) Generation to generation, kids are kids and moms are moms. Sigh.

Ann Wyse said...

Dear Anonymous (Mom),
I know ... Time Out! ... but I need to save that (rather) precious CONSEQUENCE for when somebody is getting hurt. Let me know if you can think of any other appropriate consequences. No bedtime stories are repeated offenses... what's left? How about No Food in the Mouth if you can't keep it shut while I make dinner? Sigh.

I think I'm in need of parenting classes, really. Because I'm honestly running out of ideas.

Pregnantly Plump said...

It doesn't always work. But if one is screaming and the other starts, I stop the second screamer. I tell them that only one person gets to scream, and his brother has already taken that job, and wish them better luck next time.

Ann Wyse said...

The sole screamer - that's pretty funny! ;-) I'm going to try it. Even if it only throws them off once, at least that's one less night to listen to it.

JJ Keith said...

Traumatized... oh my god yes. Yesterday I had a writer-type event I had to go to as soon as my husband got home. Throughout the talk I was still shaken, like I'd just wandered off a Iraqi battlefield and realized that my arm was severed at the elbow, except, like, I had just spent 10 hours being worked over by two adorable little punks so not really the same at all. But kind of the same.