Thursday, September 29, 2011

Self Created Bumps

We're working through new sleeping arrangements this week: as in, getting Mattias and Noah to sleep in the same bedroom.  Our timing is something like: "Hey, Mattias' sleeping couldn't get much worse, so let's mess with it some more."

On Night Four, it was 9:30 pm - two hours past bedtime - and Mattias was sitting on Fritz's lap in the office. It was a new low point in our project, and Fritz wasn't helping by talking about how cute Mattias looked sitting on his lap. Yeah, that glassy eyed stare is adorable until you walk in the direction of the bedroom and it morphs into squinty-eyed-wake-my-brother-up-screaming.

But guess who had volunteered for night duty!

And that was good, because I'd been on night duty for the last three nights and it was starting to catch up with me.

The next day was Mattias' Well Child appointment and the three of us: Mattias, Noah, and I all got flu shots. Now, I'm not really a flu shot person. In fact, this is only the second time that I've had it: the first was during the Swine Flu (scare), while I was pregnant with Mattias. I don't get sick very often, even with the boys. I don't know why I decided to get it: peer pressure, solidarity with my boys? And today? Well, I feel kind of flu-y. Fritz tells me, based on his scientific reading of the medical literature that there is NO WAY I have the flu from the shot. But I bet I'm not the only one who feels this way. Stupid flu shot.

It feels like things spiral out of control so quickly when we make changes - or have bumps - in the routine. I don't know if we have ourselves stretched too thin, or if that's just part of life with children. But there are huge piles of laundry, floors that need to be vacuumed, plants that need to watered (desperately), counters that need to be cleared, never mind the BIG list of things like finish staining the fence, planting those two trees, winterizing the irrigation system, and cleaning (really, really cleaning) out the fridge. Somehow, I miss a few hours of sleep and feel a little flu-y and....

I don't know why I'm sitting here whining. I have work to do!

No comments: