Sunday, September 4, 2011

More bugs

I'm wondering if some large animal died in the creek near our house, so plentiful has the fly population been this year.

The boys (including Fritz) thought it was absolutely hilarious to see me run around the kitchen trying to swat flies with rolled up pieces of newspaper. It turns out I have pretty lousy aim, and so does the rest of my family. Or, at least, when they're imitating me, they have lousy aim.

Fritz suggested using the vacuum on them (what is it with our family and vacuums?), because that's what his mother does. Guess what? That technique still requires aim.

But then I remembered another one of my mother-in-law's tricks for catching flies: the pitcher plant!  It's less dramatic than its famous (also) carnivorous cousin, the venus fly trap. But, I hoped, perhaps a little less fragile. Did you know that merely touching a venus fly trap can render it useless? Can't have that with boys in the house.  I found a pitcher plant in the Impossible to Grow in Denver Orchids Section of my favorite greenhouse. I put it next to the kitchen sink, since that's the fly loitering grounds AND hopefully, I'll remember to water it there.

The unsuspecting fly creeps along the leaf:
(Except this fly is going the wrong way.)
Into the water filled pitchers.
Only distilled water using an eyedropper, friends.  These things are SENSITIVE.
Yum!

Just kidding.

The problem, obviously, is that the flies around here don't have aim, either. So, 16 hours after introductions, I spent a few hours swatting down a fly and dumped it in. 

The plant seems happy.  I guess it was also amused by my swatting skills. 

3 comments:

Meredith said...

That's a cool plant! I've never heard of one. Hopefully, it will work better once the flies get used to aiming.

Anonymous said...

I really like the photos you include in your posts. It's obvious you have an eye for design. Question - why did you change your "About me" to "once upon a time architect?"

Ann Wyse said...

Thanks, Anonymous -
and regarding your question, on-going identity crisis, I suppose.