Saturday, August 20, 2011

Play with Me

Q: Why is Noah incorrectly quoting and then translating meaning?

A: Grandma gave Noah a new book that uses lots of idioms. He's been trying to learn expressions like, 'it broke my heart' and 'give me a hand.' He's still trying to wrap his head around (!) the concept.


The Conversation:
Noah: Not by the hair on my tinny tin tin.  Mommy, do you know what that means?

Me: No, what does that mean?

Noah: That means, "I'm sorry to hurt your feelings but I like to play with Grandma more than I like to play with you."

Me: Oh. Okay. (At least he's sorry he hurt my feelings, right? I mean, he expressed it well...I think.)

Noah: Not by the hair on my tinny tin tin. Mommy, do you know what that means?

Me: No. (Maybe it changed?)

Noah: That means, "I'm sorry to hurt your feelings but I like to play with Grandma more than I like to play with you."

Me: But do you still like to play with me sometimes?

Noah: Yes. (Pause.) What does 'sometimes' mean?

Me: Well, that means, not all the time, but maybe a little bit here and there.

Noah: Not by the hair on my tinny tin tin. Mommy, do you know what that means?

Me: Yes! That means, "you're sorry to hurt my feelings but you like to play with Grandma more than you like to play with me."

Noah: Yes.

Me: But you'll still play with me sometimes.

Noah: (Pause.) No.

3 comments:

Meyers said...

Does this happen to be the book, "Parts?" My boys think this book is hilarious. In fact we just had to read it two nights in a row last week. There's a sequel too - "More Parts." Highly recommended!

Ann Wyse said...

Aha! You caught us! Those are exactly the books we've been reading/Grandma gave Noah. Although, it's not quite hilarious (yet) to Noah.

Meredith said...

So funny. Little Elvis went through a mean stage with me as well. He would ask me if I was wearing make-up, and then tell me I should go put some on right away. And he'd much rather hang out with his Gram and Coachpa. Grandparents are just way more fun I think.