Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Windows 2.0

I think I've mentioned before that one of the things that I really love about our house is the windows. What makes the windows great is that they are so well adjusted to our smaller lot.  In this neighborhood, yards are small and the next door neighbor is close enough that you may make eye contact through the windows. So locating windows strategically, to preserve privacy and yet let in light, is important.

Red potted plants in the stairwell window.
Our floor plan puts a lot of windows in the stairwell. This is a brilliant place for windows because they bring in lots of light in a place where privacy is less important. Our last home, a rental, had a huge picture window in the living room. And while the light was nice - I always love big windows - in the evening, or on a particularly cloudy day, it did feel a little bit like we were in a fishbowl, unless we closed the blinds. With the blinds closed, the living room could feel like a cave. 

That's where - and when - I first encountered this window strategy. The strategy is to place large objects in front of the window(s). It doesn't really block anyone from seeing in, but it does distract. It works well in the stairwell, when we are only passing through, anyway.  And it looks cheerful from the outside as well. Our neighbors say that their guests always comments on our windows.
This photo would be better at dusk, but my hands are pretty full at that time of day.
Yes, I know that might be a good or a bad thing. I know that most people don't decorate their houses with primary red (except for the holidays, maybe). But I have to tell you, I am loving the red. It was quite difficult to find red pots. I finally gave up and took to spray paint. One thing you learn if you are observant about color is that our palette of colors when it comes to home decor in the States is REALLY limited.

If you want to be really avant-guard in your paint choices, get yourself a CMYK book (here's mine, purchased when it was a lot less expensive) that systematically, mathematically goes through all the basic print color options.  Then compare it to the paint samples at the store. You'll be shocked at how limited the paint samples/chips are. But don't worry, with the CMYK book in your hand, you can give the paint-mixer your special mixing orders and end up with paint colors that nobody else has. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying your blogs about design in a home with small children. The colorful and simple (minimalist) look that you are developing gives not only a emotional lift to those who are sensitive to their physical surroundings, but it also offers HOPE that some degree of adult aesthetics really can coexist with children. Thank you!

Meredith said...

I really like the red, and the varying sizes of the vases. It looks great!

Anonymous said...

OH, I know what you mean about the color choices in the States - I felt soo bored when I had to shop at Bed, Bath & Beyond. You can count the colors on one hand and find the exact same ones at Linen & Things. But then there was Ikea at Houston...

Anonymous said...

I would switch the middle windows around - unless you need better access to water plants?

Ann Wyse said...

I like the idea of switching the middle pots, but the placement of the plants and pots does become (unfortunately) dictated by things like ability to water them, where kids can reach, cost of the pots relative to reachability and so on.