Friday, May 27, 2011

If it's not broke...

Last week, I managed to get a whole bunch of outdoor furniture at an estate sale. Cheap. The biggest prize in my loot was an outdoor teak table and six chairs. Teak is one of those tropical woods that last forever. If you seal it regularly, it will stay brown; leave it alone and it turns silvery-grey from UV light. Unlike a lot of other woods, teak cracks, warps and breaks far less. This set had already turned a beautiful shade of silvery grey. Even though the style was generally too fussy for my taste, it was a great price - I couldn’t buy a new poorly made set for less - so I bought it.


Now, why I didn’t just leave its beautiful silvery color alone, I’ll never really understand. I even posted a few months ago about how much I love weathered wood. What I didn't mention in that past post, and perhaps it's significant to clarify this: is that when wood weathers, the grey silver color sinks into the wood - it has a depth and a complexity to it that you simply can't fake well with paint or stain. Or at least, if you are me, and you pay attention to these types of details, it can't be faked.

But for some strange, strange reason, in the process of tightening up some wobbly legs, I sanded the chairs down a bit and applied some protective oil to the wood. This was a totally unnecessary thing to do. And now they look brown. I mean, they don’t look bad...but I feel this huge disappointment - and even anger - at myself.

Why, oh why, did I not just leave them alone?

I know that they will fade back to silvery grey and it will be just fine. And it’s just fine now. But I do wonder about my own sanity regarding the effect these “mistakes” sometimes have on me. I did this five days ago, and I'm still fuming about it.

Which leads me to question: should I be going back to work? I'm thinking about it a lot lately. There are a lot of things wonderful about being home with the piccolini. But I'm just feeling - well, I guess I'm feeling that I'd like monetary appreciation for my efforts, even if that means nickel tips for serving up coffee. 

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I dwell, too. It's just part of my make-up. Did it at work, and do it now.
As for the work thing, I do a (very small) amount of freelancing. Is that possible as an architect? That way you can make some money, keep your resume going, and still have a flexible schedule.