Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hands Up!

So, why do you think Mattias puts his hands above his head when he's walking?

I know, he's just learning to walk - but is that normal?

I can't remember if Noah did that or not.




It is cute.

But is there some evolutionary reason?  Like it's safer for a baby to fall on his butt than on his hands?

What about you and me? We'd probably break the fall with our hands and injure something like our wrists or arms...especially after multiple falls a day.

Maybe it's better for us adults to break our falls with our hands because we have a higher center of gravity.

No, I don't think that makes any sense.

Maybe Mattias' dipaer is too cushy. Maybe Mattias learned to rely on the diaper padding to break his fall. Maybe diapers should be thinner so babies don't learn to rely on them to break their falls.

Does this kind of take the fun out of watching your baby learn to walk?

Maybe. Why do you think I do this to myself?

No comments: