Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Preschool Options

I'm struggling over preschool options for next year.  Should Noah be in a full day program at the local elementary school where he will spend the rest of his primary educational career - or a half day program at the fancy pants private preschool that he currently attends?  He will be 4.5 in when school starts next year. It will (still) be preschool, NOT kindergarten. (Kindergarten (in 2 years) will be 5 full days.) He currently attends 3 HALF days a week.

Conventional SAHM wisdom seems to be keep the kids home with you as long as possible. Especially since I'm home with Mattias anyway. But I think Noah is bored. (Am I projecting my own feelings on Noah??) I think he might like to be in a more stimulating environment for more time.  The jump to 5 FULL days, however, seems like a big jump.  But those are the options we have.

I'd love to hear from anyone with any thoughts/experiences with preschool...

2 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

We're in a similar situation. Right now, Little Elvis is in a 3 day preschool program that's half days. I signed him up for the same thing next year, but I've also put us on a list for a special pre-K class that our school district offers. It's 5 days a week, all day. I've heard good and bad things about it. Little Elvis is smart and loves school, and his pre-school offers a lunch program 2 days a week. So, he's now staying an extra 2 1/2 hours on those days and taking a packed lunch. He loves it and I think it's a good stepping stone/compromise. Several pre-schools in our area offer this, does yours?

Dan and Amanda Meyer said...

It's difficult for me to give advice on this, considering we're homeschooling our kids. Both boys went to preschool for a few hours a day, a couple days a week, just to get that social interaction. But I don't think I'd send them all day every day. Soon enough, they'll be spending more of their time at school than they will at home! It's precious time that they have with you.

I feel like they get a lot of valuable and unique opportunities by staying home too. I don't think that going to school is the only way to prevent your kids from getting bored.

Again, I'm not in the same situation as you, so I don't know how valuable my advice is. Take it for what it's worth, and good luck!