Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Still an architect

Every year at this time, in addition to Christmas, New Years and my birthday, I re-register myself as an architect.  For the last 3 years, I've groaned especially hard about this whole procedure.  It costs about $600 and requires that I complete some continuing education requirements.  None of which would be very much money or very much time if I was actually working as an architect.  But I'm not.  I'm at home with the piccolini 100% of my time - and I'm paid zero.  Keeping myself registered feels like a real effort, but there aren't alternatives for someone who wants to take a mid-career break.  At least, not in my state of registration.

I'm not ready to give up architecture entirely. I still have a desire to practice. In the last year, I've had about 5 inquiries from people who want my help with a project of some sort.  And I really want to say Yes.  But it's difficult for me to do anything other than taking care of the piccolini right now. Life was far more complicated for our family when I worked part time. Continuing to put all four of us under that kind of stress seemed unwise. And we've built our lifestyle accordingly. But work that requires more than 10 minutes of time means I need to hire a sitter.

Speaking of which, my 10 minutes is up.

No comments: