Sunday, December 19, 2010

Small details

When we moved into our first house in Denver - it was a rental - there were all sorts of wonderful details that made it easy to quickly feel at home. Our new-new house, while lovely, is taking a little longer. Of course, I miss details like hooks to hang belts on.  I miss the built-in cabinetry and shelves.  But here are some of the little surprise details that I'm missing from our old house.


First, a wind sculpture that hung in the trees. I'm usually not a big fan of outdoor-hangy-things. I think I've been prejudiced by noisy-outdoor-hangy-things. But this particular one was totally silent and beautiful.   Somehow, the photo doesn't quite do it justice - my impression of it is completely linked to it's movement.  Movement, of course, not caught in the photo.

Second, this funky plastic soap dish.  It must have been glued to the shower wall, because I never got it off.  (I didn't try too hard.) Admittedly, the plastic material was a little chintzy. But functionally, it worked great. (Insert a bar of soap in the top, water runs out the bottom.)  And it was nice looking.  I've looked for one everywhere - no luck yet.  Anyone?  

Three, this porcupine shoe brush.  Made of concrete and some sort of natural-fiber bristles.  About 5x5x8 inches.  A pretty simple thing, but funny.  At least I thought it was funny.  Again, haven't found another, but if I did, I'd buy it in a second.

No comments: